To achieve this, the elevator pitch consists of four conversational elements, in this specific order:
- The lead-in. This is the set-up statement for the conversation. It’s intended to spark initial interest from the (potential) prospect. One sentence that tells a story about your customers- what they do and how you help them do it better.
- The differentiator. This identifies the you, your library or the library's offering as a unique resource that deserves immediate attention. It answer the question why you matter.
- The engagement question. This is an open-ended conversation starter that allows you to assess the listener's interest level.
- The call to action. This is the request for a meeting to discuss the matter further.
- Then rehearse until it's natural :-)